Mexican Quinoa Stuffed
Loaded with healthy protein, veggies and great flavour, these stuffed peppers provide the nutrition your family needs for a healthy, balanced meat-free meal. For the meat eaters, offer a grilled chicken breast or fish on the side.
Recipe Yield: 6 servings | Prep Time: 20 Min. | Cooking Time: 30 Min.
6 Ontario Greenhouse bell peppers (red, yellow or orange)
3 cups (720 mL) cooked quinoa
1 fresh jalapeño, diced
1 cup (240 mL) corn niblets
1 cup (240 mL) canned black beans, drained and rinsed
½ cup (120 mL) shredded pepper jack cheese (milder cheese can be substituted for less heat)
⅓ cup (90 mL) finely diced peppers
3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped cilantro
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
½ tsp (3 mL) onion powder
½ tsp (3 mL) chili powder
½ tsp (3 mL) each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with oil spray.
- Wash the peppers, cut off the tops approximately ½” below the stem; remove seeds and ribs. Save the tops and roast along with the whole peppers. Trim a very thin piece off the bottom of the peppers to allow them to sit upright in the baking pan (be careful not to make a hole as the filling will ooze out).
- Place peppers in baking dish; roast for ½ hour empty. Remove from oven.
- In the meantime in a large bowl, combine quinoa, jalapeño, corn, beans, cheese (retain a little for topping), cilantro, cumin, garlic, onion and chili powder; salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the filling into each bell pepper half. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until peppers are tender and filling is heated through, approximately 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
308 Talbot St. E.
Canada N8H 3V6